Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Possible Designs for Automatic Solar Tracker


Last semester, I just rotated the solar panel 10 degrees manually every 40 minutes. This past week, I have been brainstorming possible designs that I can use to rotate my solar panel automatically. The following links are different designs that people have used to do similar projects.

2-Axis Solar Tracker
Using a lazy Susan as part of the design but only rotating in phi direction
Rotating every so often – based on time rather than using photocell resistors
Arduino solar tracker but only in the phi direction
Solar tracker using Arduino that powers itself

I am in the process of collecting the parts that I will need for my circuit.
-Arduino
-Four photocell resistors
-Motor

In order to decide on what motors to use, I had to research the different types of motors.

Stepper vs Servo Motors:


Stepper motors have a larger number of poles (typically 50-100) while servo motors only have about 4 – 12. This is important because the poles are the point at which the shaft naturally stops. This means that the stepper motor can be more precise in its movements. However, servo motors are better for high speeds and high torque. I have researched people who are working on similar projects and most of their designs seem to use servo motors. I believe these motors will be better for rotating the device holding my solar panels as it tracks the sun.
 
This coming week, I will decide on a final design and find/order the motors that are needed for my project. I will also start to build the design.

1 comment:

  1. This all looks good. When we meet this week, can you do a demo of using the Arduino for me. It's been so long since I've done anything with one that I'll need a quick refresher!

    ReplyDelete